Sunday, May 19, 2013

EA's College Degree

EA circa 1911
    All families have their lore and sometimes it's best to let things be and not try to verify them. Growing up one of those stories was that our grandfather, EA Burkhardt, the grandson of an immigrant from Germany, could not graduate from Washburn College because he couldn't pass German. But then as the story went, he was awarded his degree despite his inability to pass German. Supposedly there was a letter confirming this ignoble fact. Hearing this tale, I was not sure what our reaction to this should be. Many parental anecdotes were told to you for guidance or give you a warning as to what your behavior would result in. But this one's meaning always eluded me. Perhaps it was only an illustration of a family oddity.

     But, the letter does exist. And here is the proof.


My dear captain

Just as I was about to write you at Scranton, I discovered that you were working in the city this summer and keep your old address.

It gives me much pleasure to inform you that the Executive Committee of the Trustees, on Aug 9th, being duly informed at that making up of your conditions in summer school, voted to give you your Bachelor’s degree and to register you as a regular member of the class of 1912.

Let me say that I am very proud of the fine way in which you have taken the situation and met it. I was quite sure that you would not give up, and tried to get at you those last few days before commencement, to tell you and urge you to do just what you have done, but could not find you.

I would be very glad some time to know what your plans are for the future. I like to keep track of Washburn men. You may be very sure that anything that lies in my power to do for you I shall do very gladly.

Sincerely, your friend, Frank K Sanders
    The story was he was voted out of college and that does appear to be the case,  although, I would say he may have done some academic work that led to the vote. (It says dear captain because EA was captain of the football team.) As a postscript today's blog posting was interrupted by a tornado warning that appeared to be as close as we've been to a tornado in a couple of years. Fortunately, contrary to the description at the time of a massive tornado with a debris cloud, it didn't hit us or apparently do any damage to Wichita.


No comments:

Post a Comment