Monday, October 25, 2010

I'm not sure how this sign was used, but it does announce that E. A. Burkhart, [no d], depot electrician gets married today and leaves for Chicago on train, #10 with his bride. Give him a good farewell reception. Names are Edgar and Edna or more commonly known as the Missus. When I scanned it in, it fell apart a bit. I'm hoping that was mainly because it's nearly 100 years old. Chris and I with the help of Photo Shop were able to return it more or less to its original form. It was written on two sheets of ledger paper used to record fuel amounts for trains.

I had less success with the pictures from the honeymoon. Some of the pictures that appear to be taken with the same camera look good, so I'm assuming the ones from Lake Michigan were taken on overcast days. It looks like they're sitting in a sand storm, but that seems unlikely. The stories from the newspaper say that EA and Gussie traveled to Chicago and Lake Michigan. When they returned to Topeka they lived in the house on Polk while Ada and her mother spent time in Pueblo, CO. Ada Sharpe Johnson, was the younger sister of Betsy Sharpe Walker, Gussie's mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment