Thursday, February 15, 2018

Camp Eureka 1939

Camp Eureka near Manhattan, Kansas 1939

The following letters were exchanged between Mary Grace, her mother, Edna, and her sister, Ethel, in the summer of 1939 when Mary Grace was 15 and had just finished her sophomore year in high school. She wrote in her My Life that this was her first extended time away from her family. She thought that if they had come to see her, she probably would have had a hard time finishing her camp stay.


Dear Folks

I get to skip all classes tomorrow because I’m on the General Committee for the play. The pageant wasn’t very good because at the dress rehearsal Anthony who was supposed to play one of its leads (he hadn’t come to practice without being dragged.) told the teacher (Miss Hays) he didn’t like the pageant and would rather be in the play, they had a nice long argument and she told him all right, he didn’t need to be in it. So one of the teachers had to read his part.
Betty Collins & Marian Pratt
Camp Eureka

It rained again only a little harder it seemed. I didn’t forget my lines, but I had to help Jimmy remember his. I wore one of Margaret’s dresses because mine weren’t colorful enough and a hair ribbon. Marian put my hair up in Shirley Temple curls but they fell down and when I combed my hair it became a pageboy. Left it that way as it’s easier to keep curled.

Last night the pageant took longer than it was supposed to so taps were later. We had saved some sandwiches from supper (peanut butter) you know how thirsty that makes you.

We didn’t have any water to drink, everybody was thirsty and they said ten minutes to taps. I was the only one with a dress on (Margaret’s) also my pajama pants. So thinking I had 10 minutes I finally consented. I rolled up my pajama legs. I put my shoes on again and started off with the can through the rain. When I got there Hal R was there looking at his watch to blow taps. I thought there they all are dying of thirst. I must get water for them. I ran across to the water peg and turned on the faucet and looking down at the floor waited. Pretty soon here comes two feet up to the water place (women’s shoes) I looked up slowly and there was Mrs. Rymp. ( the headman’s wife). I must of looked pretty scared.
Marian Pratt hangs out the wash.

She asked if it was for drinking purposes. I said yes and also that I had my pajamas on under my dress. Then I tore. As I ran across the dining room, I spilled the water. Also one p.j. leg came unrolled - that’s what saved my life. Hal was laughing so hard at me he couldn’t blow his bugle.

Collins were here yesterday and bought Miss Blair. We almost fell over ourselves getting to them. We were so glad to see them. I don’t see why you didn’t come see me. I love you as much as grandmother and as (almost as) close as Cottonwood Falls.

When Collins said you weren’t coming I went and drowned my sorrows in 4 sandwiches ( 5 counting the one I had in bed) 2 cakes and 2 ice cream bars. I was going to try some tea too but on the way to sit down I met John and he told me that tea was left in the tub by the water faucet and everybody not knowing it was tea dumped their dirty water in it. I believed him and threw it away. It tickled the other kids and when they told Dr. Collins he said, yes it did look like Kaw River(also tasted that way).

Seneca Cabin 1939

 Marian wants a sucker to bring a sucker  I’m going with her. Martha has improved after all she is lots of fun. But Margaret a sourpuss. Love Mary Grace.

Dear Mary Grace

Was so glad to get your letter this AM, wish we could have visited you Sunday, but Delphia (EA's mother) still runs the ranch, believe it or not, she traveled very nicely from Cottonwood Falls. Never was sick a bit, which is quite unusual for her, we took our sandwiches along with us and ate at Burlingame. Ora (EA's sister) has the best looking little boy 9 years old and a cute little girl 10, they both go to school at Cottonwood and are in the sixth and third grade.

Back row: Helen Martha, Leon, Edna
                front row: Ethel, Helen, Allan, EA-1942
Three cheers, Helen can smile again, she got the letter from Willie, my how she beams around her now, just like a ray of sunshine. Was afraid we would have to get Judson or Victor to write to her if it had not arrived. She is planning on coming to camp to drive you home Thursday morning, she wants to see how the old haunts look. She will leave home about 7 o’clock and hopes to be near your cabin door by 8:30; you will have to put some of the bedding out on the fenders for there will not be a truck to bring them back, but with the trunks and things you will probably make the grade.

I had a good bit of my back hair cut off this morning the girls are quite disgusted with me, but it was so hot those warm days.

Heaps of love from Mother.

From Ethel - Dear Squirt

We did have the nicest ride after Grandmother yesterday. It was rather peaceful on the way down, but coming back we had a little difficulty in hearing Jack Benny and Charlie McCarthy because of the racket in the back seat. Harold and I could hear fairly well, but I guess Mother and Dad didn’t get much out of the program – the one on the radio. We had a picnic in the Burlingame City Park, too. The benches were a little unsteady, but the table was in fair condition. You see there is only one table in the whole park. The park is about four blocks square.


letter from Ethel with a drawing by Helen.
Pardon me while I get up and let my hound in. it is raining and he got a little wet so he had to come in for some sympathy. I petted him one for you. He is biting me now, so I don’t like him for the present. Well, so long – I’ll be seeing you. Love Bess

The letter at left from Bess:

Hello, Squirt:
So getting up early and going to bed early agrees with you! You might try it at home sometime. You certainly have nice people in your cabin when they go over to another one and take the best cots. I though it was supposed to be a Sunday School camp.
Carmelita is trying to type, but she can't spell any good on the typewriter; or least she says the right keys don't come up when she hits them.
Helen is going to work now, so I'll send this with her. Behave yourself. Love, Bess.
Mary Grace first one on the left.


1 comment: