Thursday, November 29, 2012

1026 Madison Topeka KS (Updated - 12-2-12)

1026 Madison - 1962. It was torn down soon after to make way for I-70 through Topeka.

Cindy and Scott in the Grandparents' bedroom, one of two in the house.

Sally and Dad, Ray, peer up the stairs at the house. Looking at this, I'd say my fear of those stairs was justified.

Sally and I in the other bedroom. It had a great view of the street.

Scott, Cindy and I in the living room. From the empty bookshelves, I'd say it was close to the move to Oakley.

All of us except Sally who must have taken the picture around the table. Note Scott in the high chair. He was 5.

Vala in the pantry.


Vala at the stove.
Vala and her sister-in-law, Rose Morgan Hamon, in the garden. I remember it as so thick with flowers, one could barely walk through them.

Update - We siblings discussed whether the pictures were from 1959 or 1962. I certainly didn't remember, but Sally thought 1962. I probably should have know it was 1962 because my braids were cut off after 1959. But the definitive source is Mom's recollections she titled My Life.  She composed most of it from the calendars she kept through the years. The following is quoted from the 1962 calendar . .  . April 5th, Ray's parents sold their house to the highway department. . . April 12th we moved Ray's parents to their new house on Oakley.

But no mention of why Scott at age 5 sat in a high chair.

No comments:

Post a Comment