Monday, April 4, 2011

Houston Final Four 1971




In 1971 KU played in the Final Four in the Astrodome. As you can tell from these photos we students were placed somewhat below the floor. Sally and I and a couple of friends thought this would be a great event. It was fun, but KU lost two games - the semis to UCLA and the consolation to Western Kentucky. Oddly Villanova who lost to UCLA in the championship game, and Western Kentucky both had to vacate their spots. So the record is UCLA first and KU fourth with two asterisks in between. Apparently Western Kentucky's star player had signed a pro contract during the year.

These photos are from the consolation game because my film of the semis was lost while we were at the beach at Galveston. The semis were on Thursday and the final on Saturday. Friday Sally and I and the group went to the beach and someone opened my camera. I've always blamed the UCLA students, but I don't know.

For a good description of that final four, check out this http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkc/men/7459155.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment